Are Anoles Poisonous to Cats and Dogs?

Anoles are a popular variety of small lizards that can be found across most of the southeastern United States, particularly in South Florida. Hemispherical or ocellated lizards are small, green, or brown, belonging to the Anolis lizard family native to the Caribbean, and some regions of Central and South America.

Indeed, being fast-moving lizards that feed on insects and other small vertebrates, anoles can serve as one of the key species that maintain the balance of many suburban ecosystems. However, whenever a kitty or a dog eats one of these little lizards, some pet owners may wonder if anoles are toxic to cats and dogs.

This article will explore the possibility of anole species being poisonous to domestic animals in the sense that they are venomous or carry some parasites that are dangerous to animals or if they are poisonous in any other way if consumed by them.

What Exactly is Anole lizards

Anoles are small and speedy critters that inhabit North America and are not poisonous lizards. Anoles are characterized by the brightly colored flaps in their throat or the dewlaps. While most species do not present any threat, the larger predatory lizards can become dangerous when consumed by pets and cause either poisoning or transmit small parasites.

The unknown lizard may carry liver flukes and cause infection to cats and dogs, hence pet parents should ensure they constantly supervise their cats and dogs to prevent such incidences as well as closely monitor for any abnormal signs after an exposure that requires veterinarian attention.

Are Anoles Poisonous to Pets?

Are Anoles Poisonous to Pets

Green anoles and other small lizards have parasites or are venomous and may be unhealthy for pets if the pets consume them though are relatively not as hazardous as large venomous lizards. Cat and dog owners need to keep their pets indoors and report to the pet poison helpline if the pet shows signs of sickness after nibbling a lizard.

  • Some North American lizards, like juvenile blue-tailed skinks, secrete poison through their skin, making them toxic to pets.
  • Cane toads are highly toxic to domestic animals, particularly dogs, and can cause neurological and respiratory complications.
  • Monitor lizards, found in the subtropics of Florida, have venomous bites.

The Risks of Lizard Consumption

Lizards can carry germs and parasites such as Salmonellosis or Liver flukes that can cause sickness in cats or dogs if it is swallowed; Signs of the disease may be diarrhea, no appetite, lack of energy, pale yellow gums, and weakness.

The bigger and more dangerous species include the Gila monster or beaded lizards which may lead to neurological or respiratory complications. This also has its risks; for example, the bite of a venomous animal or ingesting its poisonous secretions.

All lizards no matter how small – from anoles to large monitor lizards – can harbor parasites or bacteria hazardous to the pet’s health should they be ingested. Owners of cats that hunt for lizards and eat them should ensure their pets live indoors. If your pet cat or dog has eaten a lizard and then seems unwell, it is essential to consult with the veterinarian.

What Happens If My Pet Eats a Lizard?

Lizards are known to be hosts to parasites which are liver flukes that are bad for a cat’s liver if consumed as food. Most of the lizards that are small such as the green anoles are not poisonous and therefore harmless but there are large lizards such as the Gila monsters that are poisonous.

Your pet acts abnormally after eating a lizard so you should consult your vet as soon as you notice such signs. Outdoor cats are the most vulnerable since they chase and often kill lizards. Ingesting small lizards does not kill pets, but it poses health risks to their well-being and the possibility of coming across venom, toxins, or parasites. Therefore, it is recommended that cats should be indoors and dogs do not eat wild lizards.

Signs of Toxicity or Infection

  • Excessive drooling or foaming at the mouth
  • Excessive thirst
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Pale or yellow gums
  • Nervousness or hyperactivity
  • Muscle tremors or seizures
  • Crossed eyes
  • Erratic movement or walking
  • Coma
A dog laying on grass with tongue out drinking water

Preventing Lizard Consumption

Critters are not the only ones that can pose dangers to pets; lizards such as green anoles and other small colorful quick-moving reptiles are also potentially lethal since they contain parasites that could prove fatal if ingested by a pet.

Yes, even the small lizard can be a host of liver flukes, can cause salmonella poisoning, or any other parasites that may cause neurologic, liver, and respiratory problems as far as a cat, a dog, or any other pet is concerned if the reptile is consumed.Larger and dangerous lizards such as Gila monsters and Mexican beaded lizards are more dangerous and should not be bitten by cats or dogs; other lizards such as geckos and chameleons should not be bitten either since their effects on health are severe.

Prevent Your Pet from Eating Lizards

Some pets eat small prey animals such as lizards including the green anoles and the skinks. However, most lizard species do not secrete poisonous venom and are only capable of infesting their prey with parasites such as liver fluke, which can lead to diarrhea and listlessness in pets.

Pet owners should always ensure that cats and dogs are closely monitored when outside to avoid cases of eating lizards. Some of the venomous lizards could pose a serious threat like the Gila monster and they can cause excessive drooling, yellow gums, and appetite loss among other signs of poisoning if your pet ingests them.

Pets eaten by unknown lizards should visit a vet since the parasites or venom may lead to liver inflammation as well as other symptoms.

Don’t Let Your Pet Eat Large Venomous Lizards

Gila monsters and monitor lizards are other reptiles that have venom which is very lethal and can prove fatal if a pet chews it. Still, even such innocuous creatures as the green anoles, these little lizards may carry parasites and bacteria that are hazardous to your pet.

It is advisable not to attend to any form of lizard let alone venomous ones such as Gila monsters if you own cats or dogs as they can lead to illness or death.

The following are some of the measures that you need to adopt to reduce your chances of encountering a lizard:

You can keep your pet indoors or when out, ensure that they are closely monitored. Dogs that are in the backyard should also be leashed as a way of limiting their movement and not eating lizards and other small prey animals.

Even though little reptiles like green anoles or skinks may not appear dangerous, they can infest your precious pets with unpleasant parasites. Therefore, pet parents should be more cautious.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are anoles poisonous to cats?

Contrary to popular opinion, anoles, like the green anole do not cause harm to cats. Anoles are small lizards that cats can prey on and consume with little to no concern about the well-being of the cat.

Are anole lizards harmful to dogs?

The anole lizards are not poisonous to dogs and therefore even if the dogs consume them, it will not harm them in any way. Anoles are small reptiles, which do not possess qualities of poisonous creatures and are unlikely to cause issues for a dog’s stomach and intestines.

What lizards are poisonous to cats?

Both the Gila monster and the Mexican beaded lizard are toxic to cats and cause neurological and respiratory problems in cats if consumed. Liver flukes are also contracted from lizards, and cats may develop liver problems from exposure to them.

What happens if a cat eats a lizard?

When a cat consumes a lizard, the lizard can be venomous or have parasites that may affect the health of cats which may show signs such as diarrhea, appetite loss, and lethargy. Nevertheless, species such as the green anole or skink pose no threat to cats if the little lizard is not ill. Though it is possible to train a cat not to kill a lizard or bring one home, it is safer to prevent them from eating the little reptiles because of the dangerous parasites the lizards carry.

Sharing is caring!